Friday, September 25, 2009

Tonight was definitely an eye opener. The 3rd semester class held a fundraiser for their Mid-Way party, which is held every semester to celebrate the half-way point of our time on the Island. Tonight's fundraiser was a doctor's auction where students and faculty auctioned off a variety of talents and goods, from cheesecake to tutorial sessions.

But first, I want to say that my professors are among the most talented people I've ever met. They do what they do Very Well. I sit in class most times just wishing that whatever I do in life, I do it with the same accuracy and insight that they use in their jobs.

The fundraiser tonight was held at Lollipop's - a bar in the Bottom. A buddy told me that one of our profs was buying rounds. I really have a lot of respect for this guy, so I thought I'd find him out and buy him a beer. When I found him he immediately grabbed my arm and said "Philips! Philips! I must buy you a drink, Philips!" I couldn't believe he remembered my name - there are 100 of us in our class and he has only taught us for half a block. I couldn't turn down the opportunity to have my prof buy me a drink and it afforded me the chance to chat.

Another professor, for the auction, rapped free-style (all I remember was him singing BOOM-Shacka-Lacka-BOOM a lot) and bid on ridiculous things like manicure/pedicures just for the heck of it. Another, the head of the department, dressed as Bob Marley while he explained what he was auctioning. He commands so much respect and reverence amongst the school that his hat sold for $400 USD! In only a few minutes he raised $1500 for the cause.

The point that I'm trying to make isn't that I witnessed another side of a group of people that I have a lot of respect for, but that they are sincerely interested in seeing the school function as a place conducive to learning. I'm not talking about how they take attendance and turn off the internet for classes, but that they realize to get through this, we all need a release so that we can use the rest of our time efficiently. Tonight was their way of showing us that less sometimes really is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment