Thursday, September 24, 2009

Welcome to my Blog!

I'm starting this a bit late. I intended to have it up and running sooner but, to tell you the truth, I wasn't sure how long it would be before the admin here figured out they made a mistake and sent me back to Canada. That and I really haven't had the time.
I've been on Saba for a little over three weeks, yet I feel like it's been at least 3 months. And it's not that time isn't zipping by, because it really is. I guess it's because I've done so much in such a small amount of time. I mean, I've done stuff - like hiking and scuba diving - but every day is crammed with force feeding my brain with more information - 100s of power point slides, how to dissect the palm of a hand, MRI scans of the mediastinum. In the short time that I've been here, I've literally doubled all of the things that I know. My brain is pregnant with facts I didn't know that I didn't know. And the new stuff is kicking out the old. I forget normal words because my life is all about new words. New words are turning my brain into fois gras. I even forgot about the words fois gras so I wikipedia-ed it.

Side note - it is me or are we generally turning more nouns into verbs? The other day a guy that I met here said how he didn't go out the night before because he was too busy "skyping his girlfriend." I thought it sounded funny, so I asked if he skyped her hard. He didn't get it.

I guess my intention with this is threefold. One is to let everyone at home know that I'm still alive and what I'm up to. Two is maybe a bit naive - but I thought a comprehensive blog of my experiences at Saba would be helpful to those interested in coming down. Of course, this would require people actually reading this, which I highly doubt. Third is less altruistic - I can't sleep after studying. My brain feels fried but it's too hyper to let me sleep, so I figure this will provide me with something useful to do while I wait for it to come.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Philly!!

    I just bumped into your blog and I must say you have some really insightful thoughts about Medicine, learning and life on Saba. I am thoroughly impressed. And I just wanted you to know that as an incoming student to Saba in Jan 2010, I did read your post and I can surely tell you I learnt quite a bit from it. Thanks a million for sharing your experience with us.

    Wish you all the best in your exams. Hope to see you on the Island in the new year.

    Warm regards,

    Niyati (I'm from Canada too...! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niyati! Hey, am I your anatomy tutor?

    ReplyDelete