Sunday, January 24, 2010

Post-crastination

It's 10pm, Sunday and I have three exams tomorrow! Am I procrastinating or what?! I haven't written in a while, but have meant too.

Life on the Island has definitely taken a few turns for the better. I'm out of Mathew's dorm, which is HUGE. I mean, I liked being in the dorm for the social aspects of it. I became good friends with people there, people who I wouldn't have had a chance to get to know. And I think since we were all going through it together it helped make the place feel like home.

But, am I glad to get out of there! I mean, only having a microwave to cook with and sharing a room with another person was trying. Luckily my roommate was really cool, but there were a few matchups in the dorm that didn't go over too well. So now I live in a house in an area on the other side of the Island called Hell's Gate. I don't know why they call it that - such a harsh name for a scenic spot. It's dead quiet and being here finally feels like actually being in the Caribbean. The view out my kitchen window is completely of ocean, horizon and the odd Island in between. It's beautiful. And there's a persistent cool breeze going through the house that I don't notice in The Bottom, where the school is. There are AC units in each room but the breeze makes it so using them would just waste electricity.

Having a kitchen too is so nice. I really missed cooking.

The second semester classrooms are way nicer too, in a building with aesthetically pleasing washrooms. You know, the ones you just wanna hang out in... Just kidding.

The second biggest improvement in my opinion are the classes (Biochem, Physio, Epidemiology, Genetics), which are much more engaging. The material is a lot less bulky and more about understanding concepts than memorizing Latin-derived ligaments. Lab exams were all about being able to conjure those few specific words in less than a minute and I've always had a rough time with that. So, thank goodness for no more labs! My lack of stress (apparent in the timing of this post) could also be due to the fact that of the few science courses I've taken in undergrad, Biochem was one of them. Of course, my learning curve is a lot steeper than my traditional Saba classmate who majored in biochem or genetics or biotech. Also epidemiology is a first cousin to health economics which I mastered in... The other day we were learning about standard deviations! Oh my...

But the BIGGEST improvement from last semester, BY FAR, has got to be Neuter. Neuter gets me from A to B in style, SCOOTER STYLE. I bought Neuter the Scooter off a 5th semester and I haven't stopped smiling since. This Island was made with scooting in mind - the windy roads, picturesque scenery, fresh tropical air. Living anywhere outside of the Bottom pretty much requires a vehicle, unless relying on the unreliable bus system is your thing. I mean, lots of people take the bus, but why THE HECK would you when you could instead travel by scooter. Independence, Freedom, Adventure. If I could find a license plate wide enough, that's what it would say.

Ok, back to studying. Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment