Sunday, October 11, 2009

Paradise

Block 3, Semester 1, Year 1

I sat down tonight for supper on the balcony of my residence with the sun setting and the view of two rocky hills divided by the ocean, and I couldn't help feeling how privileged I am to be here. I had to laugh and think, This is ridiculous. Not only am I pursuing my dream, but I’m doing it in paradise. There’s no crime here and the streets are clean. The only thing in the air is clouds and rain and birds I’ve never seen before. Yeah, sometimes the power goes out, but the running water doesn’t give you amebic dysentery. The mosquitoes don’t give you malaria. I come from a country that will gladly foot my tuition costs until I’m finished residency. I’m healthy, I eat well and I exercise. And I’ve intimately experienced enough places and people not only to recognize these qualities as indulgences in my life, but to be able to appreciate them as such. I don’t imagine that I’m any more or less privileged that anyone else on this Island; hopefully my peers are sharing my sense of appreciation tonight as the purple sky gives rise to the sounds of crickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment